[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - Ancestry.com - have you done it?

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Has anyone researched their family history on ancestry.com? I'm just sort of at the beginning phases, typing in the info I do know and attempting to get the more detailed stuff from other family members. It's really cool, though!

The one thing I find most fascinating is that when you type in an ancestor's name and other details (the more info you have the better), these little leaves pop up next to their name. The leaves mean there are supporting documents attached to that ancestor the site found. These are things like census records where they are listed, obituaries, etc. This stuff can then help you find more relatives!

The one thing I'm trying to figure out currently is with my Great Grandmother. She to America through Ellis Island. My mom and I actually found her name on a ship manifest when we went to Ellis Island a few years ago. But I can't get the ancestry.com site to attach her name to that document I found on my own (which I know is on the site as they have all of those too). Anyway, I will figure it out!

It's really interesting. I can't wait to go beyond just a few generations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 am 
Design Team Member

One of my agents here at work is pretty involved in digging up his ancestry. He loves ancestry.com. He wanted a printed form of all the work he has done to share with his family at his last reunion...the report was 350+ pages long. :shock: That's a lot of family!

I have never had time to do that. It would be fun though. I don't know much about my family at all. My Mom and all 3 of her siblings are already gone. And my Dad...and both of his parents where only children. It breaks my heart to think about all the family stories and history I've missed out on because I've not got anyone to share them with me.

My Blog

Numbers 6: 24-26

Karry - Northeast GA - Scrapping since 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:22 am 

wow kerry! 350 pages!!

I've never gone to ancestry.com but sometimes I would like to, but it seems like a lot of work to find stuff out.

My Blog - http://mypictures2pages.blogspot.com/

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:49 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

350?!?! :shock: Wow!

It's really not a lot of work (at least yet, I just started) as so many of the documents show up automatically under that person's name. For instance, I know the birthday of my grandma and her maiden name. I typed that in. A little leaf popped up next to her name (that means there are documents associated with that name) because her name is associated with a copy of my grandpa's obituary AND those of her parents. So even if I didn't know her parent's names (which I did, but you get the idea) I would then be able to type those names in and those names may have "leafs" that pop up. In fact, my great-grandparents DID have leaves pop up! They are listed in a 1930s census. So cool! And it just goes from there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:48 am 
Design Team Member

Wow, that's pretty neat. It sounds like they make it pretty simple at least.

Are your ancesters in America or does it do international searches too?

My Blog

Numbers 6: 24-26

Karry - Northeast GA - Scrapping since 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 am 

My DH's aunt did a little research "for fun" and ended up finding out that her father had been married and had a child before their family! The wife and child died quiet early on and they don't know if their mother ever knew anything about the previous marriage or not. There are pictures of their great aunt attending the country wedding.....pretty crazy stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 am 

Would love to do this one day! Only since I've moved to the area we live in now, where everyone is related to one another somehow, just how small our family is and how little I know about it. My husband at least has photos and stories, but just vague childhood memories for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 am 

I've thought about checking Ancestry.com but haven't done it yet. I don't have a lot of information about my family past my grandparents, so I don't know if I have enough info to really find out anything else about my great-grandparents and beyond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:48 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

I haven't gone beyond my great-grandparents yet (who immigrated here). So I haven't looked internationally, but I do know they have some of that stuff available on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 am 

My aunt did the family history of her Father's family before there was Ancestry.com! She actually had it published!!! She is on Ancestry.com now and pays for the world subscription...she's trying to take it back before our family moved to the US. She's currently working on digging up stuff for me about my hubby's family.

Both of these "histories" got started because there was a "rumor" or a "tale". In my grandfather's family, it was that my 3x great grandfather had married a Cherokee Indian Princess. He DID marry a Cherokee woman, but my aunt never could find out anything about her. So, it's still a mystery. And in my hubby's family, it was disputed about when the spelling/pronunciation of our last name was changed...and my aunt has already answered that question. DH's grandfather added a "k" to our last name...thus the reason why family members in the next county pronounce it the old way! LOL!

I'm extremely intrigued by family histories...I think I'll employ my aunt to do my dad's side of the family too...but that one might get really confusing since my Grandmother was a Sigmon before she married my Grandfather...and he was a Sigmon too!

Mommy to Harrison, Nevan, and Pierson

http://zeldadog1.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Jenny, wow! That is so cool. How neat you have all of that history!

My maiden name was also changed when my ancestors came to the US. So I know when I go back looking further I may have some trouble. At least I'm aware of it, though, so I can work around it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:25 pm 

I've used Ancestry, and was hooked on researching my family tree. My hubby's grandma has done a lot of research on their family and recommended the Family Tree Maker software. I LOVE it! And I don't know if they still do it, but when I bought mine, I got a free Ancestry subscription with it. I know you can track your tree directly on Ancestry's site, but I've been warned of having too much person info on there of any living relatives, so I like having it private. It also lets you print reports and charts on different family lines. Anyway, I thought I'd suggest it for anyone who's really jumping in to their trees :)

Jackie from Ohio - scrapping since 1998
jacabean.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:30 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Thanks for that info, Jackie! I might need to look into the software. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:09 am 

I haven't done it yet, but it's on my to-do list for this summer. I love looking into our family history. I have a lot of information about my side of the family, but not much on dh's, so I want to look into both.