[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - Alissa's Sept. Quilt-Inspired Challenge

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:43 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Happy Fall, Y'all! Well, almost :D

For my challenge this month, I was inspired by this cool quilt I saw on Pinterest. Now, I have never made a quilt, but I saw this sample and thought it would make a fun layout background! Plus, it looked like a great scrap stash-buster :D

Fun, right? The best part is this little snapshot of the quilt was the perfect sample size to recreate the pattern using a 12x12 background. I used 9 different patterned papers. I cut (2) 2x2" squares from each pattern and then chopped each square in half diagonally to make all the triangles. Then I just laid them out on a 12x12 piece of cardstock in the pattern from the quilt. You can also cut a few "place holders" of the same size using another scrap to help you get them glued on straight.

I actually grabbed a basket full of scraps from the layouts I've made with my BPM kits this summer. So all of these patterns were from Medley kits from June-August (one pattern might have been from a Solo). It helped me narrow down my choices from all the scraps in my stash and was much less overwhelming to do the mixing and matching.

Here's some photos of my background in progress...

Starting my pattern. See my kraft colored "place holders?"

Here's my completed background piece:

And here's my completed layout:

So my challenge for you this month is to use a quilt as the inspiration to create your own sheet of patterned paper, using scraps from your stash. And then use that sheet on a layout. Dig around your scrap bin, play with different colors and patterns and then go for it! The fun thing about this challenge is you can mix and match a ton of patterns and it will still turn out cool since it's the pattern you make with them that's the real "wow" factor.

You have from now until midnight Eastern time on Sept. 30 to complete the challenge. You may complete as many projects using the challenge as you wish. Each project will earn you an entry into our monthly prize drawing. Please upload your layout to our gallery in the appropriate "Sept. '13 Challenges" folder to be eligible for the prize.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:20 pm 

Super cool Alissa! Love it!!! And what a fun challenge. I have something in mind I've been meaning to try for awhile but then I love this technique too. Going to have to see what I can come up with.

Visit my blog: Sallys Challenge Chatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:25 pm 

Beautiful fun layout and challenge..

~~MICHELLE
http://scrappingprocrastinator.blogspot.com/
[img]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:48 am 

Fabulous layout, Alissa!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:32 am 

Love your page and great challenge, idea! :)

Deanna ~ Belpre, Ohio ~ scrapping since 2000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:30 am 

So cool! I love the quilt and your LO!!! I may just have to lift your quilt design...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 pm 
Design Team Member

Brilliant! Thanks for the tutorial - I like the kraft background peeking through. There's lots to look at, but it's not too busy. Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 am 

Beautiful LO!
What a great idea. I have seen some great quilts on Pinterest too. I have quilted in the past, but it has been a while. It would be good to "quilt" on a scrap page.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Thanks, ladies! It was really fun to do. I hope you'll try it! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 pm 

Great challenge! Love the layout!! so creative!!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 am 

This is really cool! I absolutely adore your layout!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:19 am 

Here's my take on this challenge...

Anything can happen to me tomorrow but at least nothing else can happen to me yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am 

Great job with the challenge Berta! Very cute!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:47 am 

Here's mine using kit scraps from the July Solo. :D

Too Cute!

Deanna ~ Belpre, Ohio ~ scrapping since 2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

Deanna..this is amazing! I love it!