[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - Wow - we were blessed with a HUGE box of baby clothes!

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Holy cow :shock:

One of DH's co-workers had a baby boy last April, so he's almost exactly a year older than DS. They are done having babies and she just sent us a HUGE box of his stuff! Even swaddlers and sleep sacks :shock: What's great is they live in another hot climate like us (Atlanta), so it's all season and temperature appropriate size-wise. We are so excited! The stuff is like new and really good stuff - there's even some designer clothes in there (score!)

She told us just to pass it along to the next baby boy when he outgrows it. COOL!!! We can do that.

DS now has so many clothes from our showers and now this box of clothes... he will probably only wear things once or twice :lol:

What have you done with your kid's stuff after they outgrow it? Sell it? Pass it along? Save it for kid #2?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:20 pm 
Queen of Chit Chat

So very generous of her!!

I don't have any kids yet but when I do, I will definately save their clothes for younger siblings to wear. Then when we're done, I would love to be able to pass them along to another child in the family, if there's one the right age. Although, I think everyone else in my family may be done having kids by the time I have mine! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:32 pm 

awesome! I saved my son's clothes for the next baby, but had a girl, so that didn't work out so well. Don't have any little ones in the family so generally send things off to goodwill, unless my daughter's sitter has a family in need of the sizes we're getting rid of.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 pm 

That's wonderful, Alissa! I didn't have anyone to hand down our baby clothes to, so when our youngest was about two, we had a yard sale with all the baby clothes, swing, carseat, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm 
Design Team Member

When I had the girls I saved my stuff. Then we had number four which was a boy and thought we were done. So I started to do consignment sales. Then number five came along.....sigh. Had to start all over again with stuff. But that was ok. I think most of the furniture was probably outlawed it was used so much!

But knowing for sure number five was the grand finale I put all of his stuff in a consignment sale. I know a really really good there in Memphis. Let me know if you want the info.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 pm 

I saved my oldest son's baby stuff for our second baby, which turned out to be another boy...born 18 months later which meant that most of the clothes didn't work. GRRRR.

When I accidentally got pregnant with our daughter, I had already decided that our next baby was going to be a girl, so before I even conceived I got rid of all of the boy stuff. Good thing she was a girl, eh?? :shock: After she was born, we were sure that we weren't having anymore due to a vasectomy. So I got rid of all my maternity clothes and baby clothes/stuff. We traded it all in on new to us clothing from a local consignment shop.

THEN THE VASECTOMY FAILED.

I got pregnant with a little girl that died during the second trimester. 7 weeks after her death, I was pregnant again. With a boy. I bought all boy stuff, some was given to us...most of was used, purchased at thrift stores or yard sales. When I got pregnant with our last baby, I assumed that since I had 3 boys...she would be a he. Saved all of Seth's stuff. Then found out my he was a she during a routine 18 week ultra sound. LOL.. I still kept it all but did start buying girly stuff.

Ironically, i knew that baby #2 and 4 were boys before the U/S's and that baby's 3 and 5 were girls (and the little girl that died...I knew she was a girl too before the DNA testing came back).

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Tara, I'm sorry to hear about your little angel girl :(

It's really wild you knew what you were having with all your kids! I had a dream DS was a boy (this was really early on, like I was only a few weeks along), but I didn't know whether it was a dream or a sign :lol: Even when the ultrasound tech said he was a boy I was still surprised :D

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:54 pm 
Design Team Member

How fun!

I've done all of the above. Saved clothes for younger girls, donated clothes, given them to friends...

My Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:56 am 
Smiley Queen

I've given them away to family and friends, donated, and then have done some mom-to-mom sales. I still do those from time to time and do fairly well because most people sell baby/toddler clothes, whereas I have bigger kids clothing now. The baby stuff is long gone...lol

Scrappin' Every Moment

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Admin

That's awesome, Alissa!

I saved all of them for baby #2. After that, I gave some away and also had a nice big garage sale.

My daughter has done something really cool - she and a friend, together, started a Facebook page called Sheridan Mom's Upcycle. They added all their mom friends and then word spread so fast and furious that the Rapid City, South Dakota ABC news came and did a piece on it :shock: Anyway, people just post a picture of what they have, the condition it is in and how much they want for it. Then sell it or trade it. It has been so successful, and Jennifer sells her old stuff as well. So really, they are all trading clothes and money - lol. Jennifer is very picky and knows which other moms keep the clothing nice enough that she would want it and only buys from them. They can put anything on there child/mom related. Clothes (maternity too), baby items like furniture, jumpers, whatever. She just picked up a Little Tykes car for outside for $10 in great shape!

She meets lots of new moms with children the same ages and she doesn't have a ton of unused items around to clutter the house. I mean to tell you, the SECOND she isn't using something it goes on Upcycle, lol!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 am 
Design Team Coordinator

Paula, that is so cool! I need to see if there's anything like that here. Love it!