[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2202: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Back Porch Memories • View topic - Advice for New Scrappers?

Back Porch Memories

Monthly Kit Club
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 9 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 pm 

What is the BEST ADVICE you have for new scrappers?

Let's share them here! ;)

Come Visit My Blog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:20 am 

don't buy too much paper....when I first started out I bought everything I liked and then never used half of it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:57 am 
Design Team Coordinator

I agree with Michelle - don't just buy paper to have some! Most of that paper you'll never touch again. Buy stuff for individual layouts (to match photos) to see what you like and what you use before you start stockpiling :lol:

I would also say just get the basic tools at first, too. And if you're able to try before you buy something, do that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:12 am 

I agree about the tools as well, you don't really need all of them. I think my biggest piece of advice is start with a kit if you can. It has everything in it to make anything you want and it is contained so you do not get overwhelmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:20 am 

Definitely buy your paper as you need it!

http://www.cheri-fletcher.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:56 pm 

I agree with starting with a kit. It can be so OVERWHELMING to walk into a scrapbook store the first time. A kit has a lot of fun goodies to play with that coordinate with the paper. Also, if you like something you can go buy one in every color. If you don't, you'll have something different to try the next time around.

My other piece of advice would be to try not to feel like there is a "right" way to do things. Just have fun! :)

Come Visit My Blog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:17 pm 
Design Team Coordinator

Oh, and to scraplift!!! Copy ideas at first so you don't have the stress of trying to come up with them on your own. That's another good reason to start with a kit - you can scraplift the DT ideas :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:13 am 

I agree with the paper thing-I STILL have a LOT of the original paper I bought! :oops: (10+ years ago!!) And don't feel like you have to have everything right away! People see all the stuff there is and think they need EVERYTHING right away! Find your style first and see what you like to do before you go and buy tools or supplies for something you'll NEVER do. Also get a "seasoned" scrappin' buddy and try out their stuff and see what you like. And finally take it slow don't expect your first LO to be this perfect complicated masterpiece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:38 am 

I agree with Valerie, one of the things I think is important is to remember that not every page can be a winning perfect page. And to move on from them after you do them. I found this helped me out a lot as I scrapped because it freed me from having to think I needed the perfect page or taking a really long time with each and every page.

I think they offer basic classes out there too which could be fun to go too and see what its all about. The classes that I used to attend gave you a list of specific things to buy and it helps you stay within a boundary and not get so overwhelmed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:03 pm 

Remember the story is the important part....It took me awhile to get that cuz shopping is soooo much fun!

Ditto to getting a kit to start, it's all coordinated for you.

One last thing...try not to be overwelmed with all the pictures you may have to scrap. Start small, pick an event or some favorite pics to begin with. Remember this is suppose to be fun!

One final thing...LOL!... DATE ALL PHOTOS :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:13 pm 

Some things I usally tell friends who want to start:
* buy a paper cutter!
* start with a kit
* find a friend with all the tools and scrap with them first to make sure you like it (ie, don't buy too much at first)
* don't try to scrap ALL your photos! It will drive you crazy:)